go site Having great tools and keeping them organised will inspire me to sew more. Blunt scissors or a lost seam ripper can quickly put a stop to my creative flow. These are some of my must-have items that I always keep close at hand.
• A lint roller is the best thing for getting rid of overlocker dust as well as those annoying little bits of thread after I’ve unpicked. (Yes I still have to unpick every now and then and no I don’t enjoy it any more than you do)
• I wouldn’t dream of cutting fabric with regular kitchen scissors. These huge, heavy fabrics shears come from Fiskars. Apparently they’re orange so that you wouldn’t lose them! The smaller pair is always next to the sewing machine for cutting thread ends.
• Black marble coasters from John Lewis work as my fabric weights. Also great as coasters.
• I sort my threads by colour in random boxes.
• As much as I love my fabric shears, I love my rotary cutter more. It makes cutting a breeze. The ugly green cutting mat didn’t make it to the picture.
• My box of pins has accumulated all kinds of other items of sewing over the years. I never ever close this box because the seam ripper and chalk live inside the lid.
• Bobbins live in a box of mints.
• There’s usually one or two measuring tapes hanging around my neck and one or two within reach.